Monday, July 4, 2011

An Evening with Queer friends :):)

A man walks to me introduces himself and then we begin talking. He introduces me to his friend. Three of us begin talking about various things. We met with each other because we were supporting a single cause. Another friend who is almost an hour late, joins us. We talked, discussed, planned out things and finally ended up assigning duties to each other. They told me what they expect from me, how I could contribute to support the cause. And, the cause is 'queer'. We were discussing about LGBT rights in Hyderabad.  They have a lot to say and a lot to do. And, they had asked me if I was queer? And, I laughed. I loved the question. Actually I liked the way they put the question to me. I could see excitement in them when they had asked me that question. They thought I was. I had to disappoint them and say NO. They said "We thought you were".
What's best about them is they identify themselves as Queer Hyderabadis and are happy to be that way. They are open about their sexuality unlike most of us (who are confused). They are the most respectable people I've ever met in Hyderabad. They are gays.
I have always wanted to have friends who are homosexuals. I was curious to know about them, their life, what kind of challenges/criticism they face on a daily basis if they told someone they were queer. One of them told me he spoke to a writer recently who said "I can lift my skirt and sit and not be worried if the man opposite to me is looking at my legs, only because I know you are gay." I felt the same when I was with them. For the first time ever, I felt I was very safe with unknown men and even if my cleavage was seen, I wouldn't be worried because they wouldn't be provoked and blame it on me for "provoking" them. Knowing that I was listening to them, they spoke about what kind of guys they like hooking up with. What I loved the most was listening to their conversation. It was funny and they were like any girl who thinks of her "dream boy." They spoke about where one could  find HOT guys on weekends and told me there was a pub for gays in Hyderabad, which I have never heard of, staying in Hyderabad all my life
They told me how gays were open about their activities while lesbians in Hyderabad were very private about their lives. (I'm looking forward to meet my lesbian friends too, If I get a chance). During our conversation, I realized how queer people are more humane, more courteous and more sensible. They know how it feels to be discriminated in the society. They are aware of how people shun them away from their lives in the name of Religion, customs and traditions. They know a lot more than many of us do.
They celebrate when they listen to the news about gay marriages being legalized in New York. They celebrate, they rejoice. They know that these small steps would some day make it big for them to come out in the open without fearing the stigma associated with being queer.
It is FUNNY and stupid when people argue homosexuality is against nature. What the Hell! Every person has the right to live his or her life the way he or she wants to, irrespective of their sexual orientation. I'm sure most of them who are (Young Indians) are not aware of the difference between gender, sex and sexuality. This is either due to ignorance or may be they just think that this a world where only straight people have live in.
And, on the whole, I think everyone should have queer friends. They are funny and witty. I'm happy to be associated with them and glad to support them.
To end on a decent note, I'd like to quote my gay friend who says " Don't blame the homosexuals. Blame the heterosexuals for having GAY babies" :)

P.SS Every girl should have gay friends :):):)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"For the first time ever, I felt I was very safe with unknown men and even if my cleavage was seen, I wouldn't be worried because they wouldn't be provoked and blame it on me for "provoking" them."....well when you make some lesbian friends then I suppose you cleavage would matter.